Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Drives switching locomotive within yard of railroad, industrial plant, quarry, construction project, or similar location to switch railroad cars for loading, unloading, and makeup or breakup of trains: Reads switching orders received from CONDUCTOR, YARD.
- 2) Observes traffic signals in yard or in cab and operates locomotive in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
- 3) Observes arm or lantern signals from YARD COUPLER or SWITCH TENDER and moves controls to drive locomotive backwards or forwards to switch and couple cars.
- 4) May assist in cleaning and lubricating engine.
- 5) May talk to CONDUCTOR, YARD or other yard workers via radio-telephone to give or receive switching information.
- 6) May be designated according to type of locomotive driven as Locomotive Engineer, Gasoline.
- 7) May operate switching diesel engine and be designated Engineer, Remote Control, Diesel.
- 8) When employed by establishment other than railroad to operate switching locomotive at industrial plant, quarry, construction project, or similar location, may be designated Industrial-Locomotive Operator.
Is being a "YARD ENGINEER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "YARD ENGINEER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "YARD ENGINEER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "YARD ENGINEER"
Job Number: 12152