"TOOL-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates variety of machine tools, such as radial drill press, lathes, milling machines, shapers, and grinders, to machine metal workpieces, such as patterns and machine, tool, or die parts, usually on custom basis.
- 2) Analyzes specifications and determines tooling, applying knowledge of metal properties, machining, and shop mathematics: Studies blueprint or layout on workpiece to visualize machining required, and plans sequence of operations.
- 3) Selects method of holding workpiece.
- 4) Lifts workpiece manually or using hoist, and positions and secures it to holding device, such as machine table, chuck, centers, or fixture, using wrenches and aids, such as shims, parallel blocks, planter gauges, and clamps.
- 5) Verifies workpiece position, using instruments, such as surface gauges, height gauges, and dial indicator.
- 6) Selects feed rate, cutting speed, depth of cut, and cutting tool for each operation, according to knowledge of metal properties, machining, and shop mathematics.
- 7) Positions and secures tool in toolholder.
- 8) Moves controls to position tool and workpiece in relation to each other, and to set feeds, speeds, and depth of cut.
- 9) Starts machine, turns handwheel to feed tool in workpiece or vice versa, and engages automatic feeding device.
- 10) Turns valve handle to start flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
- 11) Observes operation and regulates tool position and action.
- 12) Verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications, using instruments, such as micrometers, gauges, and gauge blocks.
- 13) May measure, mark, and scribe workpiece to lay out for machining.
Is being a "TOOL-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "TOOL-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "TOOL-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "TOOL-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Number: 11310