Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Throws track switches within yard of railroad, industrial plant, quarry, construction project, or similar location to switch cars for loading, unloading, making up, and breaking up of trains: Receives oral or written instructions from CONDUCTOR, YARD, YARD COUPLER or YARD MANAGER.
- 2) Observes arm or lantern signal from YARD COUPLER and relays information to HOSTLER or throws track switch to facilitate shunting of cars to different locations in yard.
- 3) May couple and uncouple cars for makeup and breakup of trains.
- 4) May ride atop cars that have been shunted and turn handwheel to control speed of car or stop it at specified position.
- 5) May wave arm or lantern to signal YARD ENGINEER to start or stop engine.
Is being a "SWITCH TENDER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "SWITCH TENDER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "SWITCH TENDER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "SWITCH TENDER"
Job Number: 10908