Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs any combination of following duties to raise, place, and unite girders, columns, and other structural-steel members to form completed structures or structure frameworks, working as member of crew: Sets up hoisting equipment for raising and placing structural-steel members.
- 2) Fastens steel members to cable of hoist, using chain, cable, or rope.
- 3) Signals worker operating hoisting equipment to lift and place steel member.
- 4) Guides member, using tab line or rides on member in order to guide it into position.
- 5) Pulls, pushes, or pries steel members into approximate position while member is supported by hoisting device.
- 6) Forces members into final position, using turnbuckles, crowbars, jacks, and handtools.
- 7) Aligns rivet holes in member with corresponding holes in previously placed member by driving drift pins or handle of wrench through holes.
- 8) Verifies vertical and horizontal alignment of members, using plumb bob and level.
- 9) Bolts aligned members to keep them in position until they can be permanently riveted, bolted, or welded in place.
- 10) Catches hot rivets tossed by RIVET HEATER in bucket and inserts rivets in holes, using tongs.
- 11) Bucks rivets while RIVETER, PNEUMATIC uses airhammer to form heads on rivets.
- 12) Cuts and welds steel members to make alterations, using oxyacetylene welding equipment.
- 13) May specialize in erecting or repairing specific types of structures and be designated Bridge-Maintenance Worker; Chimney Builder, Reinforced Concrete; Scaffold Builder, Metal; Structural-Steel-Equipment Erector.
Is being a "STRUCTURAL-STEEL WORKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "STRUCTURAL-STEEL WORKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "STRUCTURAL-STEEL WORKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "STRUCTURAL-STEEL WORKER"
Job Number: 10078