Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs all hand and machine operations to make smoking-pipe bowls and stems from briar blocks: Sets up preselected block in fixture of wood-turning lathe.
- 2) Sets up cutters in lathe chuck, and moves block forward to cause cutters to partially turn and face bowl of pipe.
- 3) Replaces cutting tools to bore inside of bowl.
- 4) Clamps block in frazing machine and forces it against cutters that duplicate lower part of bowl and shank to preselected pipe shape.
- 5) Places shank in holder of drill press and drills and reams shank hole.
- 6) Selects appropriate bit and drills airhole from mortice hole through shank into bowl chamber.
- 7) Removes bowl from drill press and digs into bowl and shank to remove rotten briar and rough spots, using sharp handtool.
- 8) Threads shank and stem, using threading machine.
- 9) Inserts metal bushing in shank with handtool.
- 10) Inspects pipe for flaws, cracks, or irregularities.
- 11) Dips pipe in stain solution to highlight grain and color of briar and wipes pipe dry with soft cloth.
- 12) Coats inside bowl chamber with specified mixture to sweeten bowl, using brush.
- 13) Screws or presses stem into shank to assemble pipe, using handtools.
- 14) Holds assembled pipe against sanding and buffing wheels to finish and polish surface.
Is being a "SMOKING-PIPE MAKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "SMOKING-PIPE MAKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "SMOKING-PIPE MAKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "SMOKING-PIPE MAKER"
Job Number: 9531