Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Constructs or repairs ships, following blueprints or ship's plans: Sights, plots, and marks reference points and lines on building dock or shipway to maintain alignment of vessel during construction or repair, using transit, plumb bob, tapes, and levels.
- 2) Builds keel and bilge blocks, cradles, and shoring for supporting ships in drydock, marine railways, shipways, or building docks, using woodworking handtools and power tools.
- 3) Positions and secures blocking and other structures on dock platform, according to ship's blueprints.
- 4) Aligns vessel over blocks.
- 5) Establishes reference points and lines on ship's hull for locating machinery and other equipment, in accordance with ship's alignment and shape.
- 6) Fabricates and installs furring pieces, aprons, uprights, and other wood framing in ship.
- 7) Shapes, finishes, and installs wooden spars, masts, and cargo and boat booms.
- 8) Trims wooden frames and other timbers, using broadax and adz.
- 9) Spikes or bolts metal fittings, plates, and bulkheads to wooden parts of ship, using brace and bits, augers, mauls, and wrenches.
Is being a "SHIPWRIGHT" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "SHIPWRIGHT" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "SHIPWRIGHT"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "SHIPWRIGHT"
Job Number: 9300