Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Cultivates and harvests shellfish by performing any combination of following duties: Loads marking stakes on barge, and moves barge to shellfish bed.
- 2) Drives stakes into mud in pattern specified by SHELLFISH GROWER, using sledgehammer.
- 3) Sows spat by scattering it within staked enclosure.
- 4) Covers seeded area with mixture of sand and broken shells of shellfish onto which spat attaches, using shovel.
- 5) Wades in shellfish bed and digs or rakes for shellfish, using rake, fork, and spade.
- 6) Treads in water and feels for shellfish with bare feet, gathers shellfish, and drops them into container.
- 7) Reaches from boat with rake-tongs and gropes for shellfish by moving handles to open and close tongs.
- 8) Drags brail rod behind powerboat to pull shellfish from mud.
- 9) Rigs and lowers dredge into shellfish bed from mast and boom of powerboat, using block and tackle.
- 10) Hoists dredge and pulls dump ring to empty catch.
- 11) Picks out market-size shellfish from catch, and replants smaller ones.
- 12) Packs and ices marketable shellfish in containers for shipment.
- 13) Unloads loose shellfish from boat, using shovel.
- 14) May be designated according to type of shellfish bed worked as Clam-Bed Worker; Oyster-Bed Worker; shellfish harvested as Fisher, Clam; Fisher, Oyster; or task performed as Clam Digger; Oyster Unloader.
- 15) May be designated: Clam Tonger; Clam Treader; Fisher, Mussel; Fisher, Quahog; Fisher, Scallop; Oyster Dredger; Oyster Picker; Oyster Tonger; Oyster Worker; Scallop Dredger; Scallop Raker.
Is being a "SHELLFISH-BED WORKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "SHELLFISH-BED WORKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "SHELLFISH-BED WORKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "SHELLFISH-BED WORKER"
Job Number: 9276