"SHAPER SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates one or more shapers that reciprocate bar tool against stationary workpiece to plane, shape, or groove metal workpieces, such as machine, tool, or die parts, according to specifications and knowledge of shaping operations: Studies blueprint, dimensioned sketch, or layout on workpiece, and plans sequence of operations.
- 2) Positions and secures workpiece in vise or directly on machine table, manually or with hoist, using clamps or holding fixture.
- 3) Verifies position with such instruments as dial indicator, thickness gauges, and surface gauge.
- 4) Selects cutting speed, length of stroke, depth of cut, and cutting tool to be used, according to knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- 5) Positions and secures cutting tool in toolpost.
- 6) Turns handwheels to position tool and workpiece in relation to each other and to feed reciprocating tool to workpiece, or engages automatic feed.
- 7) Verifies conformance of shaped workpiece to specifications within prescribed tolerances, using micrometers, calipers, and gauge blocks.
- 8) Turns valve handle to direct flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
- 9) May shape contours by intermittently turning handwheel to feed tool to curved layout line while watching cutting action.
- 10) May compute angles and manipulate controls to tilt table or toolhead of universal shaper for angular or taper shaping.
- 11) May sharpen tools, using bench grinder.
- 12) May shape nonmetallic materials.
- 13) May record production output.
Is being a "SHAPER SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "SHAPER SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "SHAPER SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "SHAPER SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Number: 9241