"REACTOR OPERATOR, TEST-AND-RESEARCH"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Controls operation of nuclear reactor to create fissionable materials used for research purposes, study structure of atoms, and determine properties of materials: Positions fuel elements and object to be irradiated in position in reactor core, using slave manipulators.
- 2) Installs instrumentation leads in core to measure operating temperature and pressure in reactor working from mockups, blueprints, and wiring and instrumentation diagrams.
- 3) Activates reactor and inserts object to be irradiated into rabbit tube, beam hole, or irradiation tunnel according to size of object and nature of experiment.
- 4) Monitors instruments at console and reactor panels to control chain reaction, following directions of nuclear experimenters.
- 5) Calculates applicable limits of operating factors, such as temperature and pressure, using standard formulas, and adjusts controls to maintain operating conditions, such as power level, airflow and waterflow, temperature, and radiation and neutron levels in reactor within operating limits.
- 6) Records data, such as type of material irradiated, exposure time, pile atmospheric conditions, and position of control rods in core.
- 7) Disassembles reactor parts, such as core plug and control rods, using crane and handtools.
- 8) Lifts spent fuel elements and irradiated objects from core, using extension tool, and drops them through chute into canal for recovery of fissionable material.
- 9) May work as member of team and alternate between operating reactor controls and monitoring instruments, gauges, and other recording devices in control room.
Is being a "REACTOR OPERATOR, TEST-AND-RESEARCH" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "REACTOR OPERATOR, TEST-AND-RESEARCH" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "REACTOR OPERATOR, TEST-AND-RESEARCH"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "REACTOR OPERATOR, TEST-AND-RESEARCH"
Job Number: 8230