Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Fabricates, fits, maintains, and repairs artificial limbs, plastic cosmetic appliances, and other prosthetic devices, according to prescription specifications and under guidance of PROSTHETIST or PROSTHETICS ASSISTANT : Reads specifications to determine type of prosthesis to be fabricated and materials and tools required.
- 2) Lays out and marks dimensions of parts, using precision measuring instruments and templates.
- 3) Saws, carves, cuts, and grinds wood, plastic, metal, or fabric to fabricate parts, using rotary sawing and cutting machines and hand cutting tools.
- 4) Drills and taps holes for rivets and screws, using drill press.
- 5) Glues, welds, bolts, sews, and rivets parts together to form prostheses, such as artificial limbs.
- 6) Makes wax or plastic impression of patient's amputated area, prepares mold from impression, and pours molten plastic into mold to form cosmetic appliances, such as artificial ear, nose, or hand.
- 7) Assembles layers of padding over prosthesis and fits and attaches outer covering, such as leather, sheet plastic, or fiberglass, over device, using sewing machine, rivet gun, and handtools.
- 8) Mixes pigments according to formula to duplicate skin coloring of patient and applies pigments to outer covering of prosthesis.
- 9) Polishes finished device, using grinding and buffing wheels.
- 10) Tests prostheses for freedom of movement, alignment of parts, and biomechanical stability, using plumbline, goniometer, and alignment fixtures.
- 11) May harness prosthesis to patient's stump, applying knowledge of functional anatomy.
- 12) May instruct patient in use of prosthesis.
- 13) May also perform functions of ORTHOTICS TECHNICIAN.
Is being a "PROSTHETICS TECHNICIAN" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PROSTHETICS TECHNICIAN" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PROSTHETICS TECHNICIAN"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PROSTHETICS TECHNICIAN"
Job Number: 8011