Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Coordinates repair and maintenance functions furnished operating fleet to minimize loss of revenue and cost of repairs: Reviews repair request and compares request with previous work accomplished on ship concerned and similar vessels to determine that expenditures are economically sound.
- 2) Prepares recommendations for work, and initiates procurement of materials.
- 3) Inspects machinery, equipment, or spaces outlined in work request, draws up job specifications, and obtains bids from contractors or shipyards to perform repairs.
- 4) Maintains contact with contractors to ensure completion of work at minimum cost.
- 5) Investigates machinery casualties to determine cause, and advises ship's officers in methods of operation to prevent recurrence of casualty or maloperation.
- 6) Maintains records of engineering costs for each vessel, such as repairs, supplies, and personnel.
- 7) Cooperates with regulatory bodies to ensure that requirements for alterations, repair, or modifications are kept at minimum cost consistent with safety.
- 8) May represent ferry system interests in ferry and terminal construction and maintenance activities, and in union contract negotiations.
Is being a "PORT ENGINEER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PORT ENGINEER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PORT ENGINEER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PORT ENGINEER"
Job Number: 7712