Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Assembles, installs, and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes: Studies building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installations.
- 2) Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
- 3) Locates and marks position of pipe and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors, using ruler, spirit level, and plumb bob.
- 4) Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings, using handtools and power tools.
- 5) Cuts and threads pipe, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe-threading machine.
- 6) Bends pipe to required angle by use of pipe-bending machine or by placing pipe over block and bending it by hand.
- 7) Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as iron, steel, brass, and lead, and nonmetals, such as glass, vitrified clay, and plastic, using handtools and power tools.
- 8) Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, plastic solvent, and caulks joints.
- 9) Fills pipe system with water or air and reads pressure gauges to determine whether system is leaking.
- 10) Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters, hot water tanks, garbage disposal units, dishwashers, and water softeners.
- 11) Repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- 12) May weld holding fixtures to steel structural members.
- 13) When specializing in maintenance and repair of heating, water, and drainage systems in industrial or commercial establishments, is designated Plumber, Maintenance.
Is being a "PLUMBER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PLUMBER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PLUMBER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PLUMBER"
Job Number: 7624