Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs any combination of following tasks to fabricate plastic aircraft and missile parts, accessories, and trim according to specifications: Cuts fiberglass or graphite cloth to size, following template or blueprints, using cutting machine, scissors, or knife.
- 2) Marks identifying information on material and assembles materials in kits for subsequent laminating.
- 3) Applies parting agent to mold or bonding fixture.
- 4) Impregnates cloth with resins by dipping cloth in solutions, feeding cloth between rollers of impregnating machine, or brushing resin onto cloth.
- 5) Applies layers of impregnated cloth or prepreg onto mold or fixture in predetermined ply sequence, and presses cloth to fit contours of mold, smooth surface, and remove air pockets and excess resin, using squeegee, scraper, or spatula.
- 6) Fits and laps ends of cloth, using scissors or knife.
- 7) Encases molded laminate in bagging material and bleeder cloth, attaches vacuum bagging apparatus, such as thermocouples, probes, and vacuum connections, to mold or bonding fixture, and exhausts air from vacuum bag to seal laminate for curing.
- 8) Tests seal on vacuum bagging apparatus, using leak detector.
- 9) Trims, drills, burrs, grinds, sands, and finishes cured parts to specifications, using templates, fixtures, handtools, and power tools.
- 10) Prefits and assembles cured parts into assemblies or subassemblies, using jigs, fixtures, power tools, and fasteners, such as rivets and bolts.
- 11) Applies adhesives to surface of assembled parts for bonding in autoclave.
- 12) May assist PLASTICS FABRICATOR in fabricating plastic or composite first article parts and assemblies or parts and assemblies involving compound or complex contours, working to close tolerances.
- 13) May tend oven to cure parts.
- 14) May assist AUTOCLAVE OPERATOR in loading and unloading parts from autoclave.
- 15) May form and cure rubber parts, using heat lamps or vacuum molding machine.
- 16) May be designated by type of plastic or specific activity involved as Bagger; Composite Assembler; Composite Bond Worker; Composite Laminator; Composite Layup Worker; Composite Trim And Drill Worker; Kitter; Plastic Parts Fabricator-Trimmer; Smooth And Burr Worker, Composites.
Is being a "PLASTICS WORKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PLASTICS WORKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PLASTICS WORKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PLASTICS WORKER"
Job Number: 7565