Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Fabricates, assembles, reworks, and repairs plastic products, applying knowledge of working characteristics of plastics and bonding techniques, using precision instruments, handtools, power tools, machines, and equipment: Reads and interprets blueprints, work orders, and related documentation to determine methods and sequence of operations and dimensional and finish specifications.
- 2) Lays out cutting lines on plastic materials, such as sheet stock and fiberglass or graphite cloth, following template pattern, blueprints, sketches, or sample part, using measuring and marking instruments.
- 3) Cuts material to size, using shears, knives, cutters, scissors, router, or saw.
- 4) Mixes ingredients, such as resins, catalysts, fillers, accelerators, and colors, according to formulas, manually or using mixer.
- 5) Sets up and operates forming machines and presses, or laminates plastic cloth and resins or preimpregnated cloth onto layup mold or bonding fixture, to shape parts.
- 6) Wraps bonding fixture or mold in vacuum bagging materials, attaches fittings to mold or fixture, such as vacuum connections, thermocouples, and probes, and exhausts air from vacuum bag to prepare lamination for curing or bonding.
- 7) Operates oven to cure parts.
- 8) Trims, drills, reams, countersinks, grinds, and finishes parts to specifications, using templates, handtools, and power tools.
- 9) Verifies dimensions of parts, using precision instruments, such as dial indicators, micrometers, and calipers.
- 10) Fits and assembles parts and attaches hardware and fittings, such as brackets and hinges, using clamps, jigs, fixtures, power tools, and fasteners.
- 11) Applies tape, foam, or other type of adhesives to assembly for subsequent bonding in autoclave.
- 12) Repairs and reworks damaged or defective parts and assemblies by lay up, foaming, cementing, molding, potting, casting, or similar methods.
- 13) May heat parts or materials to facilitate shaping, using oven or heat gun.
- 14) May fabricate and assemble parts from fiber reinforced plastics and assorted materials, such as metal and honeycomb, and be designated Bonding And Composite Fabricator; Composites Fabricator And Assembler.
- 15) May press, smooth, trim, measure, and adjust composite tape during automatic application of tape onto mold or fixture by numerical-control tape laying machine, using scale, knife, and scraper.
- 16) May wind fiberglass, graphite, nylon, or other natural or synthetic fiber or filament around parts, using filament winding machine, manually applying layers of resinous materials to part at specified intervals during winding process.
- 17) May be designated by type of part or activity involved as Experimental Plastics Fabricator; Filament-Wound Parts Fabricator; Plastic Parts Fabricator; Plastic-Sign Fabricator; Plastics Rework And Repair Mechanic.
Is being a "PLASTICS FABRICATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PLASTICS FABRICATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PLASTICS FABRICATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PLASTICS FABRICATOR"
Job Number: 7563