Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Lays out, assembles, installs, and maintains pipe systems, pipe supports, and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems, applying knowledge of system operation, and following blueprints: Selects type and size of pipe, and related materials and equipment, such as supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- 2) Inspects work site to determine presence of obstructions and to ascertain that holes cut for pipe will not cause structural weakness.
- 3) Plans installation or repair to avoid obstructions and to avoid interfering with activities of other workers.
- 4) Cuts pipe, using saws, pipe cutter, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine.
- 5) Threads pipe, using pipe threading machine.
- 6) Bends pipe, using pipe bending tools and pipe bending machine.
- 7) Assembles and installs variety of metal and nonmetal pipes, tubes, and fittings, including iron, steel, copper, and plastic.
- 8) Connects pipes, using threaded, caulked, soldered, brazed, fused, or cemented joints, and handtools.
- 9) Secures pipes to structure with brackets, clamps, and hangers, using handtools and power tools.
- 10) Installs and maintains hydraulic and pneumatic components of machines and equipment, such as pumps and cylinders, using handtools.
- 11) Installs and maintains refrigeration and air-conditioning systems, including compressors, pumps, meters, pneumatic and hydraulic controls, and piping, using handtools and power tools, and following specifications and blueprints.
- 12) Increases pressure in pipe system and observes connected pressure gauge to test system for leaks.
- 13) May weld pipe supports to structural steel members.
- 14) May observe production machines in assigned area of manufacturing facility to detect machinery malfunctions.
- 15) May operate machinery to verify repair.
- 16) May modify programs of automated machinery, such as robots and conveyors, to change motion and speed of machine, using teach pendant, control panel, or keyboard and display screen of robot controller and programmable controller.
- 17) May be designated Steam Fitter when installing piping systems that must withstand high pressure.
- 18) May be designated according to type of system installed as Pipe Fitter, Ammonia; Pipe Fitter, Fire-Sprinkler Systems; Pipe Fitter, Gas Pipe; or type of piping used as Pipe Fitter, Plastic Pipe; Pipe Fitter, Soft Copper.
- 19) May be designated: Airdox Fitter; Freight-Air-Brake Fitter; Instrument Fitter; Maintainer, Sewer-And-Waterworks; Pipe Fitter, Maintenance; Pipe Fitter, Welding; Pneumatic-Tube Fitter; Sprinkler-And-Irrigation-System Installer; Tuyere Fitter.
Is being a "PIPE FITTER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PIPE FITTER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PIPE FITTER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PIPE FITTER"
Job Number: 11056