Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Plans, lays out, and constructs wooden unit-or sectional-patterns used in forming sand molds for castings according to blueprint specifications, using handtools and power tools: Lays out pattern on woodstock, dividing pattern into sections according to shape of casting to facilitate removal of pattern from mold, utilizing knowledge of casting techniques, and using marking and measuring devices, such as scriber, shrink rule, and square.
- 2) Cuts and shapes parts, using bandsaw, lathe, planer, and router.
- 3) Fits and fastens parts together to form pattern or section, using glue, nails, dowels and screws.
- 4) Trims, smooths, and shapes surfaces, using handtools, such as plane, drawknife, chisels, and mallets.
- 5) Assembles sections and verifies dimensions of complete pattern, using templates, straightedges, calipers, and protractors.
- 6) Glues fillets along interior angles of pattern.
- 7) Paints pattern in standard code colors to indicate method of assembly.
- 8) Shellacs, lacquers, or waxes finished pattern.
- 9) May construct templates for use in shaping irregular curves in pattern.
- 10) May construct wooden models.
- 11) May be designated according to type of pattern constructed as Die-Cast Patternmaker; Die-Lay-Out Worker.
- 12) May repair broken or damaged patterns and correct patterns to compensate for defects in castings and be designated Pattern Setter.
Is being a "PATTERNMAKER, WOOD" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "PATTERNMAKER, WOOD" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "PATTERNMAKER, WOOD"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "PATTERNMAKER, WOOD"
Job Number: 7313