Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Fills ophthalmic eyeglass prescriptions and fits and adapts lenses and frames, utilizing written optical prescription: Evaluates prescription in conjunction with client's vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- 2) Determines client's current lens prescription, when necessary, using lensometer or lens analyzer and client's eyeglasses.
- 3) Recommends specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- 4) Assists client in selecting frames according to style and color, coordinating frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription.
- 5) Measures client's bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using millimeter rule and light reflex pupillometer.
- 6) Prepares work order and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- 7) Verifies finished lenses are ground to specification.
- 8) Heats, shapes, or bends plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit client, using pliers and hands.
- 9) Instructs clients in adapting to, wearing, and caring for eyeglasses.
- 10) Sells optical goods, such as binoculars, plano sunglasses, magnifying glasses, and low vision aids.
- 11) Repairs damaged frames.
- 12) May be required to hold license issued by governing state.
- 13) May fabricate lenses to prescription specifications.
- 14) May select and order frames for display.
- 15) May grind lens edges or apply coating to lenses.
- 16) May manage one or more optical shops.
- 17) May compute amount of sale and collect payment for services.
- 18) May fit contact lenses only and be designated Optician, Contact-Lens Dispensing.
Is being an "OPTICIAN, DISPENSING" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "OPTICIAN, DISPENSING" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "OPTICIAN, DISPENSING"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "OPTICIAN, DISPENSING"
Job Number: 6975