"METAL SPRAYER, MACHINED PARTS"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates flame-spray equipment and machine tools to build up worn parts, such as crankshafts, motor shafts, clutch plates, and piston rods, and to salvage defective machined parts, according to specifications: Washes object with solvents, or heats object with torch or in furnace to remove impurities, such as grease or paint.
- 2) Operates machines, such as engine lathes and external grinders, to undercut or groove surface of object.
- 3) Cleans and roughens surface of object in sand or shotblast cabinet or by electrobonding process.
- 4) Preheats object for spraying, using oxyacetylene torch or metalizing gun.
- 5) Sprays metal or other material on object by either of following methods: Positions and clamps metalizing gun to engine lathe carriage.
- 6) Selects nozzle to accommodate size of wire to be sprayed and screws nozzle into place on metalizing gun.
- 7) Inserts wire to be sprayed into rear of gun and through feed rollers and nozzle.
- 8) Connects hoses from gun to air compressor and tanks of oxygen and fuel gas, such as acetylene.
- 9) Turns knobs to synchronize speed of wire feed, air pressure, flow of oxygen and fuel indicated on dials to specifications computed from data charts.
- 10) Installs gears in lathe and turns knobs to synchronize rotating speed of chuck and movement of carriage with rate of spray to achieve specified coating on workpiece.
- 11) Ignites gases to melt wire and presses button or trigger to release compressed air which atomizes and sprays molten metal onto workpiece.
- 12) Pours specified powder of metal or other material, such as ceramics, into hopper mounted on metalizing gun.
- 13) Selects nozzle according to type of powder to be used and screws nozzle into place on gun.
- 14) Turns dials and valves to synchronize feeding rate of powder and flow of oxygen and fuel gas, according to type of powder used.
- 15) Ignites gases and presses button or trigger to start flow of powder which is atomized and sprayed onto workpiece.
- 16) Heats object with torch or in heat-treating furnace to fuse coatings, and cools object slowly to prevent cracking.
- 17) Measures object, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, gauges, and calipers, to determine conformance to specifications.
- 18) Operates portable metalizing gun to fill cracks, holes, and apply coating to restore flat or irregular surfaces of machined, forged, or cast objects to original dimensions.
- 19) May operate machines, such as engine lathes, turret lathes, or precision grinders, to machine-coat objects to original specifications.
- 20) May spray protective coatings of corrosion-resistant metal onto metal objects.
- 21) May tend portable air compressors, sandblasting guns, and set up metalizing gun on lathes in customers' plants to repair damaged, worn, or improperly machined parts.
- 22) May be designated according to type of metalizing equipment used as Thermospray Operator.
Is being a "METAL SPRAYER, MACHINED PARTS" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "METAL SPRAYER, MACHINED PARTS" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "METAL SPRAYER, MACHINED PARTS"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "METAL SPRAYER, MACHINED PARTS"
Job Number: 6421