"MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, boring machines, and grinders, to machine metallic and nonmetallic workpieces according to specifications, tooling instructions, and standard charts, applying knowledge of machining methods: Reads blueprint or job order for product specifications, such as dimensions and tolerances, and tooling instructions, such as fixtures, feed rates, cutting speeds, depth of cut, and determines sequence of operations.
- 2) Selects, positions, and secures tool in toolholder.
- 3) Positions and secures workpiece in holding device, machine table, chuck, centers, or fixtures, using clamps and wrenches.
- 4) Moves controls to position tool and workpiece in relation to each other, and to set specified feeds, speeds, and depth of cut.
- 5) Sets up fixture or feeding device, starts machine, and turns handwheel to feed tool to workpiece or vice versa, and engages feed.
- 6) Turns valve handle to direct flow of coolant or cutting oil against tool and workpiece.
- 7) Observes operation of machine and verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as fixed gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- 8) Operates bench grinder to sharpen tools.
- 9) May set up and operate machines and equipment other than machine tools, such as welding machines and flame-cutting equipment.
Is being a "MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Number: 6110