Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Drives electric, diesel-electric, or gas-turbine-electric locomotive, interpreting train orders, train signals, and railroad rules and regulations, to transport passengers or freight: Inspects locomotive before run to verify specified fuel, sand, water, and other supplies.
- 2) Synchronizes watch with that of CONDUCTOR, PASSENGER CAR or CONDUCTOR, ROAD FREIGHT to ensure departure time from station or terminal is in accordance with time schedule.
- 3) Receives starting signal from CONDUCTOR, PASSENGER CAR or CONDUCTOR, ROAD FREIGHT and moves controls, such as throttle and airbrakes to drive locomotive.
- 4) Interprets train orders, train signals, and railroad rules and regulations to drive locomotive, following safety regulations and time schedule.
- 5) Calls out train signals to FIRER, LOCOMOTIVE for verification of meaning to avoid errors in interpretation.
- 6) Confers with CONDUCTOR, ROAD FREIGHT or traffic control center personnel via radiophone to issue or receive information or instructions concerning stops, delays, or oncoming trains.
- 7) Observes track to detect obstructions.
- 8) Inspects locomotive after run to detect damaged or defective equipment.
- 9) Prepares reports to explain accidents, unscheduled stops, or delays.
- 10) May lubricate moving parts of locomotive.
- 11) May drive diesel-electric rail-detector car to transport rail-flaw-detecting machine over railroad and be designated Rail-Flaw-Detector-Car Operator.
- 12) May be designated according to type of locomotive driven as Locomotive Engineer, Diesel; Locomotive Engineer, Electric; or according to type of traffic assigned as Road Engineer, Freight; Road Engineer, Passenger.
Is being a "LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER"
Job Number: 6015