Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Controls machinery to open and close locks and dams on canal: Observes gauges and turns valves to increase or decrease water level in lock.
- 2) Observes positions of vessels and tie-up of mooring lines in lock to ensure optimum utilization of lock space and prevent vessel damage.
- 3) Logs data, such as water levels, weather conditions, and type, number, and destination of vessels.
- 4) Starts motors to open gates and sections of dams for passage of vessels.
- 5) Turns on navigation lights and traffic signals along canal.
- 6) Cleans, oils, and makes minor repairs to equipment.
- 7) Collects lock slips from vessel operators and submits slips to supervisor.
- 8) Ties or slips line-eyes over bitts on lock deck to secure vessels.
- 9) May direct activities of workers engaged in mooring vessels in lock.
Is being a "LOCK OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "LOCK OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "LOCK OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "LOCK OPERATOR"
Job Number: 6004