"HORTICULTURAL-SPECIALTY GROWER, FIELD"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Propagates and grows horticultural-specialty products and crops, such as seeds, bulbs, rootstocks, sod, ornamental plants, and cut flowers: Plans acreage utilization and work schedules, according to knowledge of crop culture, climate and market conditions, seed, bulb, or rootstock availability, and employable work force and machinery.
- 2) Attaches farm implements, such as disk and fertilizer spreader, to tractor and drives tractor in fields to till soil and plant and cultivate crop.
- 3) Inspects fields periodically to ascertain nutrient deficiencies, detect insect, disease, and pest infestations, and identify foreign-plant growth, and selects, purchases, and schedules materials, such as fertilizers and herbicides, to ensure quality control.
- 4) Hires field workers; assigns their duties according to scheduled activities, such as planting, irrigating, weeding, and harvesting; and oversees their activities.
- 5) Maintains personnel and production records.
- 6) Arranges with customers for sale of crop.
- 7) May oversee activities, such as product cleaning, grading, and packaging.
- 8) May provide customer services, such as planning and building planters, walls, and patios, and planting and caring for landscape and display arrangements.
- 9) May bud or graft scion stock on plantings to alter growth characteristics.
- 10) May develop new variations of species specialty to produce crops with specialized market-appeal, such as disease resistance or color brilliance.
- 11) May cultivate out-of-season seedlings and crops, using greenhouse.
- 12) May cultivate cover crop, such as hay or rye, in rotation with horticultural specialty to rejuvenate soil.
- 13) May drive and operate self-propelled harvesting machine.
- 14) May lubricate, adjust, and make minor repairs on farm machinery and equipment.
- 15) May build, remove, and repair farm structures, such as fences and sheds.
- 16) May be designated according to crop as Bulb Grower; Flower Grower; Grass Farmer; Rose Grower; Seed Grower; Shrub Grower.
Is being a "HORTICULTURAL-SPECIALTY GROWER, FIELD" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "HORTICULTURAL-SPECIALTY GROWER, FIELD" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "HORTICULTURAL-SPECIALTY GROWER, FIELD"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "HORTICULTURAL-SPECIALTY GROWER, FIELD"
Job Number: 4980