"HONING-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates vertical or horizontal honing machine to hone internal or external surfaces of metal objects, such as prototype cylinders, bearings, or connecting rods, usually on custom basis, analyzing specifications and selecting tooling according to knowledge of honing procedures: Studies blueprint to visualize honing to be done and plans sequence of operations.
- 2) Positions workpiece in fixture or on machine table, and secures it with clamps and wrenches, verifying positions with instruments, such as surface gauges and dial indicators.
- 3) Selects feed rate, honing speed, depth of cut, and honing tool for each operation, according to knowledge of metal properties, abrasives, and shop mathematics.
- 4) Positions and secures tool in spindle.
- 5) Moves controls to position tool in relation to workpiece and to set feed rate and spindle speed.
- 6) Turns nut on tool or sets automatic mechanism to expand tool to selected diameter.
- 7) Positions and tightens stops with wrench to control length of stroke.
- 8) Starts machine and turns handwheels to feed tool to workpiece.
- 9) Engages automatic mechanism to feed tool along workpiece with oscillating action.
- 10) Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
- 11) Measures honed workpiece for conformance to specifications, using electromechanical limit gauges, surface gauges, micrometers, and telescoping gauges.
- 12) May use special optical inspection equipment.
- 13) May replace worn honing stones.
- 14) May be required to have experience with particular material or product or with machine of particular size, type, or trade name and be designated accordingly.
Is being a "HONING-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "HONING-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "HONING-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "HONING-MACHINE SET-UP OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Number: 4951