Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Devises and directs research, training, and monitoring programs to protect plant and laboratory personnel from radiation hazards: Conducts research to develop inspection standards, radiation exposure limits for personnel, safe work methods, and decontamination procedures, and tests surrounding areas to ensure that radiation is not in excess of permissible standards.
- 2) Develops criteria for design and modification of health physics equipment, such as detectors and counters, to improve radiation protection.
- 3) Assists in developing standards of permissible concentrations of radioisotopes in liquids and gases.
- 4) Directs testing and monitoring of equipment and recording of personnel and plant area radiation exposure data.
- 5) Requests bioassay samples from individuals believed to be exposed.
- 6) Consults with scientific personnel regarding new experiments to determine that equipment or plant design conforms to health physics standards for protection of personnel.
- 7) Conducts research pertaining to potential environmental impact of proposed atomic energy related industrial development to determine qualifications for licensing.
- 8) Requisitions and maintains inventory of instruments.
- 9) Instructs personnel in principles and regulations related to radiation hazards.
- 10) Assigns film badges and dosimeters to personnel, and recommends changes in assignment for health reasons.
- 11) Advises public authorities on methods of dealing with radiation hazards, and procedures to be followed in radiation incidents, and assists in civil defense planning.
- 12) May specialize in research concerning decontamination of radioactive equipment and work areas in nuclear plants, laboratories, and other facilities and be designated Nuclear-Decontamination Research Specialist.
Is being a "HEALTH PHYSICIST" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "HEALTH PHYSICIST" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "HEALTH PHYSICIST"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "HEALTH PHYSICIST"
Job Number: 4840