"GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, INTERNAL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates internal grinding machines to grind internal cylindrical and tapered surfaces of rotating metal workpieces, such as tool, die, and machine parts, usually for limited runs, analyzing blueprints and specifications and selecting tooling according to knowledge of internal grinding procedures: Studies blueprint or layout on workpiece to visualize grinding to be done and plans sequence of operations.
- 2) Selects grinding wheel, according to knowledge of metal properties and abrasives, and mounts wheel on spindle.
- 3) Moves controls and reads dial to set angle of workpiece to grinding wheel, following product specifications.
- 4) Dresses wheel manually or with preset device.
- 5) Positions and secures workpiece on faceplate, magnetic chuck, or in chuck jaws, using wrenches.
- 6) Selects and sets grinding wheel speed, work surface speed, and workpiece table travel rate, according to knowledge of metal properties and abrasives.
- 7) Positions and tightens stops to set depth of grinding wheel cut and stroke of workpiece table.
- 8) Moves controls to feed wheel to workpiece manually and automatically.
- 9) Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against wheel and workpiece.
- 10) Verifies dimensions of ground workpiece for conformance to specifications, using such measuring instruments as micrometers, dial indicators, and gauge blocks.
- 11) May dress grinding wheel to specified profile for contour grinding, using special fixtures and tools.
- 12) May grind nonmetallic materials, such as plastics.
- 13) May operate tracer attachment to duplicate contours from templates or models.
- 14) May be required to have experience with particular material, product, or precision level, or with machine of particular type or trade name.
Is being a "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, INTERNAL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, INTERNAL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, INTERNAL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, INTERNAL"
Job Number: 4672