"GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, GEAR, TOOL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates precision gear grinding machine with special indexing equipment to grind master and precision gears, usually on custom basis, analyzing specifications and selecting tooling according to knowledge of gear grinding procedures: Studies blueprints and machining instructions to determine grinding operations and to plan sequence of operations.
- 2) Computes machine indexing ratios and cam dimensions for specified spacing and contour of gear teeth, using shop mathematics.
- 3) Selects index plate, cams, grinding wheel, feed rates, grinding speed, and depth of cut, according to computations, gear specifications, and knowledge of gear design, metal properties, and abrasives.
- 4) Positions and secures index plate, cams, and grinding wheel in machine, using wrenches and measuring devices.
- 5) Sets up automatic dressing device to dress wheel to specified profile.
- 6) Moves controls to set synchronized rotation speeds and feed rates.
- 7) Positions and secures workpiece on mandrel between centers or in chuck, and turns handwheels to position workpiece and wheel, verifying positions with thickness gauges, dial indicators, and micrometers.
- 8) Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against wheel and workpiece.
- 9) Moves controls to index workpiece and feed wheel to workpiece, adjusting depth of cut in part by sight and feel.
- 10) Verifies dimensions of ground workpiece for conformance to specifications, using gear measuring wires and involute checker.
- 11) May grind nonmetallic materials.
- 12) May be required to have experience with particular type of gear, precision level, or type or trade name of machine.
Is being a "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, GEAR, TOOL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, GEAR, TOOL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, GEAR, TOOL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "GRINDER SET-UP OPERATOR, GEAR, TOOL"
Job Number: 4671