"GRINDER OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates variety of grinding machines, such as external, internal, and surface grinders, to grind metal workpieces, such as machine parts, dies, or tools, according to knowledge of grinding procedures: Studies blueprint or layout on workpiece to visualize grinding to be done, and plans sequence of operations.
- 2) Selects grinding wheel, applying knowledge of abrasives and metal properties, and secures it on spindle, using wrench.
- 3) Dresses wheel with dressing device.
- 4) Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist, and positions and secures workpiece to holding device, using wrenches and clamps.
- 5) Selects feed rates, grinding speeds, depth of cuts, and grinding wheel of size, shape, and grade for each operation, applying knowledge of metal properties, abrasives, product specifications, and shop mathematics.
- 6) Positions and tightens stops to limit travel of workpieces or grinding wheel.
- 7) Moves controls to position wheel and workpiece in relation to each other, and to set feed, speed, and depth of cut.
- 8) Starts machine, turns handwheel to feed grinding wheel to workpiece or vice versa, and engages power feeding device.
- 9) Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against wheel and workpiece.
- 10) Observes operation and adjusts position and action of wheel and workpiece.
- 11) Verifies dimensions of ground workpieces for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as templates, micrometers, dial indicators, and gauge blocks.
- 12) Works to tolerances of plus or minus 0.
- 14) May measure, mark, and scribe workpiece to lay it out for grinding.
- 15) May dress grinding wheels to complex profiles, using special fixtures and tools.
- 16) May grind nonmetallic materials, such as plastics.
- 17) May operate tracer attachment to duplicate contours from templates or models.
- 18) May be required to have specialized experience with particular materials, product, or precision level or with machine of particular size, type, or trade name.
Is being a "GRINDER OPERATOR, TOOL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "GRINDER OPERATOR, TOOL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "GRINDER OPERATOR, TOOL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "GRINDER OPERATOR, TOOL"
Job Number: 4668