"GEAR-SHAVER SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates one or more gear-shaving machines that utilize gashed, gear-shaped cutting tools to shape and smooth gear teeth or to correct distortions remaining from roughing operation, following machining instructions and knowledge of gear-shaving methods: Reads blueprints or machining instructions to determine machine settings, fixtures and cutterheads to use, and gear dimensions and tolerances.
- 2) Presses gear on arbor and mounts it between centers, using handtools.
- 3) Mounts cutter on cutterhead.
- 4) Moves controls to set feed rates, cutting speeds, reciprocating action, and angles of cutter and gear.
- 5) Turns handwheel to feed gear to cutter.
- 6) Verifies conformance to specifications, using micrometers, measuring wires, and involute checker.
- 7) May compute gear dimensions and machine settings, applying knowledge of shop mathematics and gear formulas.
- 8) May work on nonmetallic gears.
- 9) May be required to have experience with custom or production work, or with particular material, kind of gear, or machine of particular type or trade name.
Is being a "GEAR-SHAVER SET-UP OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "GEAR-SHAVER SET-UP OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "GEAR-SHAVER SET-UP OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "GEAR-SHAVER SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Number: 4474