Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Finishes or refinishes damaged, worn, or used furniture or new high-grade furniture to specified color or finish, utilizing knowledge of wood properties, finishes, and furniture styling: Disassembles article, masks areas adjacent to areas being finished, or removes accessories such as knobs and hinges, using handtools, to prepare article for finishing.
- 2) Removes old finish from surfaces, using steel wool, sandpaper, or solvent and putty knife.
- 3) Removes excess solvent with cloth immersed in paint thinner or sal soda.
- 4) Applies plastic-putty, wood putty, or lacquer-stick to surface, using spatula or knife, to fill nicks, depressions, holes, and cracks.
- 5) Smooths surface for finishing, using sandpaper or power sander.
- 6) Selects finish ingredients and mixes them by hand or machine to obtain specified color or shade or to match existing finish.
- 7) Brushes or sprays successive coats of stain, varnish, shellac, lacquer, or paint on workpiece.
- 8) Grains wood or paints wood trim, using graining roller, comb, sponge, or brush.
- 9) Polishes and waxes finished surfaces.
- 10) May restore wood to natural color, using bleaching acid and neutralizer.
- 11) May spread graining ink over metal portions of surfaces with cheesecloth to simulate wood-grainlike finish.
- 12) May finish piano and organ cases and be designated Piano-And-Organ Refinisher.
- 13) May finish mirror and picture frames and be designated according to type of finish applied as Powder Gilder; Whitener.
- 14) May finish television receiver cabinets and be designated Television-Cabinet Finisher.
- 15) May finish wooden parts of custom-made firearms and be designated Finisher, Special Stocks.
- 16) May stain and finish surfaces of new furniture pieces to simulate antiques, bringing out highlights and shadings by rubbing surfaces with abrasives or cloth, and be designated Antiquer.
Is being a "FURNITURE FINISHER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "FURNITURE FINISHER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "FURNITURE FINISHER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "FURNITURE FINISHER"
Job Number: 4372