Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Lays out, positions, aligns, and fits together fabricated parts of structural metal products in shop, according to blueprint and layout specifications, preparatory to welding or riveting: Plans sequence of operation, applying knowledge of geometry, effects of heat, and allowances for weld shrinkage, machining, and thickness of metal.
- 2) Sets up face block, jigs and fixtures.
- 3) Locates and marks centerlines and reference points onto floor or face block and transposes them to workpiece, using tape, chains, plumb bob, and squares.
- 4) Moves parts into position, manually or by hoist or crane.
- 5) Aligns parts, using jack, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammer.
- 6) Removes high spots and cuts bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torch.
- 7) Gives directions to WELDER, ARC to build up low spots or short pieces with weld.
- 8) Straightens warped or bent parts, using sledge, hand torch, straightening press, or bulldozer.
- 9) Positions or tightens braces, jacks, clamps, ropes, or bolt straps, or bolts parts in positions for welding or riveting.
- 10) May use transit to locate reference points and erect ladders and scaffolding to fit together large assemblies.
- 11) May tack weld and be designated Fitter-Tacker.
Is being a "FITTER I" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "FITTER I" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "FITTER I"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "FITTER I"
Job Number: 4066