"FISH HATCHERY WORKER"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs any combination of following tasks to trap and spawn game fish, incubate eggs, and rear fry in fish hatchery: Secures net on both banks of river to divert fish to holding pond.
- 2) Catches ripened fish from holding pond with hand net and squeezes or slits bellies of female fish to release eggs in pail.
- 3) Squeezes bellies of male fish to force milt over eggs, and stirs with rubber-gloved hand to fertilize eggs.
- 4) Fills hatchery trays with fertilized eggs and places trays in incubation troughs.
- 5) Turns valves and places baffles in troughs to adjust volume, depth, velocity, and temperature of water.
- 6) Inspects eggs and picks out dead, infertile, and off-color eggs, using suction syringe.
- 7) Sorts fish according to size, coloring, and species and transfers fingerlings to rearing ponds or tanks, using buckets or tank truck.
- 8) Scatters food over surface of water by hand or activates blower that automatically scatters food over water to feed fish.
- 9) Observes appearance and actions of developing fish to detect diseases, and adds medications to food and water as instructed by superior.
- 10) Transfers mature fish to rivers and lakes, using tank truck.
- 11) Records field data and prepares reports of hatchery activities.
- 12) Drains and cleans ponds and troughs, using brushes, chemicals, and water.
- 13) Makes minor repairs to hatchery equipment, paints buildings, and maintains grounds.
- 14) May spawn and rear food fish or tropical and exotic fish for commercial use.
- 15) May mark migrating fish with liquid nitrogen, using hand-operated branding device.
Is being a "FISH HATCHERY WORKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "FISH HATCHERY WORKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "FISH HATCHERY WORKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "FISH HATCHERY WORKER"
Job Number: 4796