Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Operates open-hearth furnaces to produce specified types of steel: Examines raw materials for conformance to specifications.
- 2) Signals CHARGING-MACHINE OPERATOR to place materials in furnace.
- 3) Turns fuel, air, and steam controls to adjust fuel mixtures and draft.
- 4) Moves levers to circulate gas throughout furnace to distribute heat and prevent burning out of furnace walls.
- 5) Signals OVERHEAD CRANE OPERATOR to pour molten metal in furnace.
- 6) Obtains sample of metal, using long-handled spoon, and pours sample into test mold.
- 7) Tests sample for carbon content, using carbon analyzer.
- 8) Moves controls to open furnace doors, and shovels additives, such as fluorspar, lime, and alloys, into furnace to obtain specified type of steel.
- 9) Determines temperature of metal, using thermocouple.
- 10) Observes color of molten metal through cobalt-blue glasses to determine when to tap furnace and notifies MELTER SUPERVISOR.
- 11) Directs crew in tapping furnace and adding specified additives to ladle.
- 12) Records operational data on forms.
- 13) Examines furnace to determine repairs needed, and directs crew in repairing furnace walls and flooring.
Is being a "FIRST HELPER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "FIRST HELPER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "FIRST HELPER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "FIRST HELPER"
Job Number: 4028