"ENGINE-LATHE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates engine lathes to machine metallic and nonmetallic workpieces according to specifications, tooling instructions, and standard charts, applying knowledge of machining methods: Reads blueprint or job order for specifications, such as dimensions and tolerances, tooling instructions on holding devices, feed rates, cutting speeds, depth of cuts, and cutting tools.
- 2) Positions and secures tools in holders, using wrenches.
- 3) Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist, and positions and secures workpiece in holding device, machine table, chuck, centers, or fixture, using clamps and wrenches.
- 4) Sets specified rotation speed, feed rate, and depth of cut, and positions tool in relation to workpiece.
- 5) Starts machine, turns handwheels to feed tool to workpiece, and engages feed.
- 6) Turns valve handle to direct flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
- 7) Observes cutting action of machine to detect excessive wear or malfunction.
- 8) Verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications, using micrometers, calipers, and fixed gauges.
- 9) May scribe reference lines on workpiece, using scale, or template and scriber, to lay out interrelated surfaces, lengths, and depths of cut.
- 10) May compute unspecified dimensions and machine settings, using knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- 11) May set up tracing attachment that guides cutting tool to follow movement of tracing stylus along template to duplicate template profile on turned workpiece and be designated Tracing-Lathe Set-Up Operator.
- 12) May be required to have experience with custom or production work, or with particular material, product, level of precision, or size, type, or trade name of machine.
Is being an "ENGINE-LATHE SET-UP OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "ENGINE-LATHE SET-UP OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "ENGINE-LATHE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "ENGINE-LATHE SET-UP OPERATOR"
Job Number: 3585