"DRILL-PRESS SET-UP OPERATOR, RADIAL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates radial drill press to perform drilling and other machining operations, such as boring, reaming, and tapping holes in metal workpieces, such as castings, forgings, and weldments, according to specifications, machining instructions, and knowledge of machining: Studies specifications and machining instructions, such as job order, blueprint, process sheet, or layout on workpiece, to determine hole locations and size and setup requirements, including tooling, feed rates, and cutting speeds.
- 2) Plans sequence of operation, determines suitable work holding arrangement, and fastens holding fixture or jig on machine base to hold workpiece and guide cutting tool.
- 3) Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist and positions and secures it on machine base or in fixture or jig with clamps and bolts.
- 4) Verifies position with surface gauges and height gauges.
- 5) Selects cutting tool, installs it in machine spindle, and moves controls to set cutting speeds and feed rates, according to machining instructions or knowledge of metal properties.
- 6) Operates controls to swing radial arm over workpiece, position cutting tool over hole center location, engage power feed, and to advance tool into workpiece.
- 7) Turns valve handle to start flow of cutting oil and coolant against cutting tool and workpiece.
- 8) Observes machining operation and periodically verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as telescoping gauges, dial indicators, and micrometers.
- 9) May measure, mark, and scribe reference lines and hole locations on workpiece, according to blueprint, using layout tools, such as rule, divider, and scriber, applying knowledge of shop mathematics and layout techniques.
- 10) May operate universal-type machine, computing and setting angles of tilting spindle.
- 11) May work on nonmetallic materials.
- 12) May sharpen cutting tools, using bench grinder.
Is being a "DRILL-PRESS SET-UP OPERATOR, RADIAL" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "DRILL-PRESS SET-UP OPERATOR, RADIAL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "DRILL-PRESS SET-UP OPERATOR, RADIAL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "DRILL-PRESS SET-UP OPERATOR, RADIAL"
Job Number: 3213