Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Engraves designs onto steel dies used to produce textile printing rollers, using engravers' handtools and machines: Measures dimensions of pattern to be engraved in die, using ruler.
- 2) Operates engine lathe to turn steel roller down to size according to dimensions of pattern and copper printing roller.
- 3) Sketches design on steel roller utilizing one of following alternate methods: Lays out reference points on design according to location of one complete pattern repeat, using ruler, dividers, and pencil.
- 4) Covers design with transparent film and transfers reference points to film, using scriber and magnifying lens.
- 5) Sketches design colors onto separate sheets of film, using brushes and ink.
- 6) Examines design to detect errors in scribing and color quality and corrects or alters design, employing knowledge of colors, fabrics to be printed, and engraving and printing techniques.
- 7) Immerses steel roller in electroplating solution to coat roller with copper.
- 8) Wraps film around roller, allowing ink in design to react with copper coating to transfer design from film to roller.
- 9) Computes machine settings required to reproduce straight-line designs on roller, using mathematical tables and formulas.
- 10) Plots machine settings on graph paper.
- 11) Mounts steel roller in index-dividing machine and adjusts tracing carriage of machine according to computations on graph paper.
- 12) Lowers tracing-carriage scriber to surface of roller and moves levers of machine to sketch vertical and horizontal lines on roller.
- 13) Mounts sketched rollers in fixture on worktable and engraves outline of design following sketch lines, using gravers' tools.
- 14) Cuts or stipples in ground lines as specified, using gravers' and stippling tools.
- 15) Prints proof print of engraved design on wax paper to verify accuracy of etchings on roller.
- 16) Removes scratches from and polishes roller die, using polishing lathe.
- 17) Punches indentations into edges of die to facilitate transfer of design from die to mill, using hammer and punch.
- 18) Controls furnace to harden and temper dies.
Is being a "DIE MAKER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "DIE MAKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "DIE MAKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "DIE MAKER"
Job Number: 2877