Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Lays out, fabricates, and assembles developmental or experimental structural and mechanical parts and assemblies, and installs parts and assemblies in prototype aircraft or spacecraft, following engineering information, using precision instruments, handtools, power tools, and shop equipment: Reads and interprets blueprints, sketches, loft information, and related engineering data to plan sequence of operations and methods for fabricating, assembling, and installing parts and assemblies.
- 2) Lays out radii, angle, and dimensions of parts on assorted materials, using precision measuring and marking instruments, such as gauges, calipers, scale, and scriber, applying trigonometric calculations to solve layout problems.
- 3) Sets up and operates shop equipment, such as bandsaw, lathe, table saw, drill press, shear, and brake, to shape and form parts.
- 4) Verifies dimensions of parts, using precision measuring instruments.
- 5) Drills, countersinks, and reams holes in parts and assemblies for bolts, rivets, and other fasteners, using power tools.
- 6) Aligns and joins structural assemblies, using transit, sight level, handtools, power tools, clamps, and fasteners.
- 7) Installs experimental parts and assemblies in prototype structure to verify accuracy of layout and assembly.
- 8) Tests functional performance of installed parts.
- 9) Confers with engineers to resolve fabrication and installation problems.
- 10) May fabricate or modify tooling, such as jigs, fixtures, templates, and form blocks.
- 11) May fabricate and assemble reduced-scale mockups of parts and assemblies.
- 12) May be designated by type of part or assembly developed as Controls Development Mechanic; Developer-Prover, Mechanical; Fabrication And Structures Development Mechanic; Hydraulic And Plumbing Development Mechanic; Mechanic, Experimental Structural Assembly.
Is being a "DEVELOPMENT MECHANIC" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "DEVELOPMENT MECHANIC" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "DEVELOPMENT MECHANIC"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "DEVELOPMENT MECHANIC"
Job Number: 2841