Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Prepares, examines, and analyzes chromosomes found in biological specimens, such as amniotic fluids, bone marrow, and blood, to aid in diagnosis and treatment of genetic diseases: Selects and prepares specimen and media for cell culture, using aseptic technique, knowledge of medium components, and cell nutritional requirements.
- 2) Harvests cell culture at optimum time sequence based on knowledge of cell cycle differences and culture conditions.
- 3) Prepares slide of cell culture, selects banding technique, and stains slide to make chromosomes visible under microscope, following standard laboratory procedures.
- 4) Views slide through photomicroscope to count and identify chromosome number and presence of structural abnormality.
- 5) Photographs slide and prints picture.
- 6) Cuts images of chromosomes from photograph, identifies number and types of chromosomes, and arranges and attaches chromosomes in numbered pairs on karyotype chart, using standard genetics laboratory practices and nomenclature to identify normal or abnormal chromosomes.
- 7) Communicates with physicians, family members, and researchers requesting technical information or test results.
- 8) May supervise subordinate laboratory personnel and be known as Supervisor, Cytogenetic Laboratory.
Is being a "CYTOGENETIC TECHNOLOGIST" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "CYTOGENETIC TECHNOLOGIST" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "CYTOGENETIC TECHNOLOGIST"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "CYTOGENETIC TECHNOLOGIST"
Job Number: 2685