Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets type by hand and machine, and assembles type and cuts in galley for printing articles, headings, and other printed matter, determining type size, style, and compositional pattern from work order: Measures copy with line gauge to determine length of line.
- 2) Sets composing stick to line length indicated on line gauge.
- 3) Selects type from type case and sets it in compositional sequence, reading from copy.
- 4) Inserts spacers between words or units to balance and justify lines.
- 5) Transfers type from stick to galley when setup is complete.
- 6) Inserts leads, slugs, or lines of quads between lines to adjust length of setup.
- 7) Prepares proof copy of setup, using proof press.
- 8) Examines proof for errors, corrects setup, and forwards it to imposing stone or bank.
- 9) Cleans type after use and distributes it to specified boxes in type case.
- 10) May set type to print copy that is unaccompanied by specifications, using knowledge of composition and printing processes.
- 11) May be designated Job Compositor when setting type in commercial printing establishments or Ad Compositor when assembling type and cuts for display advertisements.
Is being a "COMPOSITOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "COMPOSITOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "COMPOSITOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "COMPOSITOR"
Job Number: 2187