Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Carves ornamental designs into wooden furniture parts, using handtools and woodworking machines: Studies sketches and dimensions of ornamental designs submitted by architect, customer, or design department, visualizes finished product, and draws design to scale, using drawing instruments.
- 2) Transfers design to wooden furniture part by tracing over drawing and carbon paper with stylus.
- 3) Clamps furniture part in vise and roughs out design freehand or by cutting along lines marked on wood, using chisel and mallet, jigsaw, and router.
- 4) Selects chisels, gouges, files, and rasps and determines sequence of their use according to intricacy of design.
- 5) Cuts, trims, or touches up roughed out design, using handtools to finish design.
- 6) Verifies dimensions of carving, using rule and dividers.
- 7) Taps stippling tool with mallet to stipple design.
- 8) May saw precut wooden blocks into rough shaped decorative items, using chain saw and portable power saw.
- 9) May finish carvings roughed out on router, spindle carver, or wood-carving machine and be designated Skin Carver.
Is being a "CARVER, HAND" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "CARVER, HAND" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "CARVER, HAND"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "CARVER, HAND"
Job Number: 1516