Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's handtools and power tools, and conforming to local building codes: Studies blueprints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- 2) Selects specified type of lumber or other materials.
- 3) Prepares layout, using rule, framing square, and calipers.
- 4) Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials, using pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- 5) Shapes materials to prescribed measurements, using saws, chisels, and planes.
- 6) Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- 7) Verifies trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter's level.
- 8) Erects framework for structures and lays subflooring.
- 9) Builds stairs and lays out and installs partitions and cabinet work.
- 10) Covers subfloor with building paper to keep out moisture and lays hardwood, parquet, and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- 11) Applies shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, and decorative paneling to ceilings and walls.
- 12) Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware, such as locks, letterdrops, and kick plates.
- 13) Constructs forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- 14) Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- 15) May weld metal parts to steel structural members.
- 16) When specializing in particular phase of carpentry, is designated according to specialty as Combination-Window Installer; Lay-Out Carpenter.
- 17) When specializing in finish carpentry, such as installing interior and exterior trim, building stairs, and laying hardwood floors, is designated Finish Carpenter.
- 18) When erecting frame buildings and performing general carpentry work in residential construction, is designated House Carpenter.
- 19) May remove and replace sections of structures prior to and after installation of insulating materials and be designated Building-Insulating Carpenter.
- 20) May perform carpentry work in construction of walk-in freezers and environmental test chambers and be designated Carpenter, Refrigerator.
- 21) May be designated: Door Hanger; Finished-Hardware Erector; Garage-Door Hanger; Hardwood-Floor Installer; Jalousie Installer; Stair Builder; Trim Setter; Weather Stripper; Wood-Sash-And-Frame Carpenter; Wood-Strip-Block Floor Installer.
Is being a "CARPENTER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "CARPENTER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "CARPENTER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "CARPENTER"
Job Number: 10990