"BRICKLAYER, FIREBRICK AND REFRACTORY TILE"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Lays firebrick and refractory tile to build, rebuild, reline, or patch high-temperature or heating equipment, such as boilers, ovens, furnaces, converters, cupolas, ladles, and soaking pits, according to job orders and blueprints: Lays out work, using chalklines, plumb bobs, tapes, squares, and levels.
- 2) Calculates angles and courses for building walls, arches, columns, corners, and bottoms.
- 3) Removes burned or damaged brick and cleans surface of setting, using sledgehammer, pry bar, pneumatic chipping gun, scraper, and wire brush.
- 4) Cuts brick to size, using brick hammer or powered abrasive saw.
- 5) Spreads fire-clay mortar over brick with trowel and lays brick in place.
- 6) Spreads or sprays refractories over exposed bricks to protect bricks against deterioration by heat, using trowel or spray gun.
- 7) Positions or bends special frame or hanger over casings to lay arches.
- 8) Cuts, notches, or drills openings to provide outlets, pyrometer mountings, brackets, and heating elements, using handtools.
- 9) Patches or replaces firebrick linings of ladles and furnace tap holes.
- 10) Constructs refractory forms for controlling quantity and flow of molten materials from furnace to rolling machines.
- 11) May replace bolts, brackets, and heating elements, repair coke oven doors, weld cracks or holes in shell, or perform other repairs.
- 12) May pack insulation into shells and frames to insulate heating equipment, such as furnaces, boilers, and ovens.
- 13) May be designated according to structure worked on as Bessemer-Bottom Maker; Coke-Oven Mason; Door Repairer; Furnace Mason; Lip-And-Gate Builder; Open-Hearth Door-Liner; Vessel Liner.
- 14) When specializing in repair and replacement of firebrick and refractory tile in casings or linings of equipment, is designated Firebrick-And-Refractory Tile Repairer.
Is being a "BRICKLAYER, FIREBRICK AND REFRACTORY TILE" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "BRICKLAYER, FIREBRICK AND REFRACTORY TILE" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "BRICKLAYER, FIREBRICK AND REFRACTORY TILE"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "BRICKLAYER, FIREBRICK AND REFRACTORY TILE"
Job Number: 1120