Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Repairs and overhauls automobiles, buses, trucks, and other automotive vehicles: Examines vehicle and discusses with customer or AUTOMOBILE-REPAIR-SERVICE ESTIMATOR; AUTOMOBILE TESTER; or BUS INSPECTOR nature and extent of damage or malfunction.
- 2) Plans work procedure, using charts, technical manuals, and experience.
- 3) Raises vehicle, using hydraulic jack or hoist, to gain access to mechanical units bolted to underside of vehicle.
- 4) Removes unit, such as engine, transmission, or differential, using wrenches and hoist.
- 5) Disassembles unit and inspects parts for wear, using micrometers, calipers, and thickness gauges.
- 6) Repairs or replaces parts, such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings, using mechanic's handtools.
- 7) Overhauls or replaces carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps.
- 8) Rebuilds parts, such as crankshafts and cylinder blocks, using lathes, shapers, drill presses, and welding equipment.
- 9) Rewires ignition system, lights, and instrument panel.
- 10) Relines and adjusts brakes, aligns front end, repairs or replaces shock absorbers, and solders leaks in radiator.
- 11) Mends damaged body and fenders by hammering out or filling in dents and welding broken parts.
- 12) Replaces and adjusts headlights, and installs and repairs accessories, such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- 13) May be designated according to specialty as Automobile Mechanic, Motor; Bus Mechanic; Differential Repairer; Engine-Repair Mechanic, Bus; Foreign-Car Mechanic; Truck Mechanic.
- 14) May be designated: Compressor Mechanic, Bus; Drive-Shaft-And-Steering-Post Repairer; Engine-Head Repairer; Motor Assembler.
Is being an "AUTOMOBILE MECHANIC" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "AUTOMOBILE MECHANIC" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "AUTOMOBILE MECHANIC"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "AUTOMOBILE MECHANIC"
Job Number: 449