Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Controls operation of particle accelerator used in research experiments involving properties of subatomic particles: Reviews experiment schedule to ascertain particle beam parameters specified by experimenter, such as energy, intensity, and repetition rate.
- 2) Communicates with accelerator maintenance personnel to ensure readiness of support systems, such as vacuum, water cooling, and radiofrequency power source.
- 3) Sets control panel switches, according to standard procedures, to route electric power from source and direct particle beam through injector unit.
- 4) Turns panel controls and watches meters and panel lights to adjust beam steering units and direct beam to accelerator.
- 5) Pushes console buttons in prescribed sequence to control beam path in accelerator.
- 6) Adjusts controls to increase beam pulse rate, energy, and intensity to specified levels.
- 7) Notifies experimenter in target control room when beam parameters meet specifications.
- 8) Pushes control levers to steer beam to experimenter's target, as directed.
- 9) Monitors readings at console during experiment to ensure accelerator systems meet specifications and notifies experimenter of condition.
- 10) Alters beam parameters during experiment as directed.
- 11) Ensures that maintenance workers vacate hazardous locations before operations.
- 12) Records data in log relative to beam specifications, equipment settings used, and beam conditions obtained for future reference.
- 13) Participates in maintenance and modification of systems as member of team.
- 14) May be designated according to type of accelerator operated.
Is being an "ACCELERATOR OPERATOR" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "ACCELERATOR OPERATOR" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "ACCELERATOR OPERATOR"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "ACCELERATOR OPERATOR"
Job Number: 2172