Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs following tasks on board ship to watch for obstructions in vessel's path and to maintain equipment and structures: Stands watch at bow or on wing of bridge to look for obstructions in path of vessel.
- 2) Measures depth of water in shallow or unfamiliar waters, using leadline, and telephones or shouts information to bridge.
- 3) Turns wheel on bridge or uses emergency steering apparatus to steer vessel as directed by MATE, SHIP.
- 4) Breaks out, rigs, overhauls, and stows cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear.
- 5) Overhauls lifeboats and lifeboat gear and lowers or raises lifeboats with winch or falls.
- 6) Paints and chips rust on deck or superstructure of ship.
- 7) Must hold certificate issued by US Government.
- 8) When working aboard vessels carrying liquid cargoes, must hold tanker operator's certificate.
- 9) May stow or remove cargo from ship's hold.
- 10) May be concerned with only one phase of duties, as maintenance of ship's gear and decks or watch duties, and be known as Deckhand, Maintenance; Watchstander.
Is being an "ABLE SEAMAN" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "ABLE SEAMAN" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "ABLE SEAMAN"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "ABLE SEAMAN"
Job Number: 11331