Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Covers roofs with roofing materials other than sheet metal, such as composition shingles or sheets, wood shingles, or asphalt and gravel, to waterproof roofs: Cuts roofing paper to size, using knife, and nails or staples it to roof in overlapping strips to form base for roofing materials.
- 2) Aligns roofing material with edge of roof, and overlaps successive layers, gauging distance of overlap with chalkline, gauge on shingling hatchet, or by lines on shingles.
- 3) Fastens composition shingles or sheets to roof with asphalt, cement, or nails.
- 4) Punches holes in slate, tile, terra cotta, or wooden shingles, using punch and hammer.
- 5) Cuts strips of flashing and fits them into angles formed by walls, vents, and intersecting roof surfaces.
- 6) When applying asphalt or tar and gravel to roof, mops or pours hot asphalt or tar onto roof base.
- 7) Applies alternate layers of hot asphalt or tar and roofing paper until roof covering is as specified.
- 8) Applies gravel or pebbles over top layer, using rake or stiff-bristled broom.
- 9) May construct and attach prefabricated roof sections to rafters.
- 10) May attach shingles to exterior walls and apply roofing paper and tar to shower pans, decks, and promenades to waterproof surfaces.
- 11) When specializing in one type of roofing materials, is designated according to specialty as Aluminum-Shingle Roofer; Asbestos-Shingle Roofer; Asphalt, Tar, And Gravel Roofer; Composition Roofer; Roofer, Gypsum; Slate Roofer; Tile-And-Terra-Cotta Roofer; Wood-Shingle Roofer.
Is being a "ROOFER" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test
will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
Click here for "ROOFER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "ROOFER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "ROOFER"
Job Number: 11106