Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates variety of general or specialized metalworking machines to repair automotive engine parts or auxiliary units, such as transmission, differential, springs, or brakes, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, and machine procedures: Operates lathe to machine water-pump castings, piston heads, valves, and other automotive parts.
- 2) Clamps piston in carriage of piston-grinding-and-turning machine to grind piston heads to fit cylinders.
- 3) Adjusts grinding wheel to make cut of specified depth.
- 4) Clamps valves in position on grinding wheel to grind seating surfaces of valves, moving levers to achieve required depth of cut.
- 5) Operates boring machine to machine internal surfaces of cylinders in engine block.
- 6) Cleans parts, before and after machining, in agitator-type cleaning tank to remove grease, rust stains, and foreign matters.
- 7) Operates lathe, boring, or honing machine to refinish internal surfaces of bearings and connecting rods.
- 8) Verifies dimensions, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, calipers, and height gauges to ensure adherence to tolerance specifications.
- 9) May grind metal surfaces of engine block or other parts, using portable or bench grinders.
- 10) May spray worn or gouges parts with molten aluminum, zinc, or other metal to build up parts.
- 11) May examine parts for fractures, using magnaflux test equipment.
- 12) May repair cracks in engine head and other vehicle parts with arc or gas welding equipment.
- 13) May operate drum lathe to resurface brake drums.
- 14) May repair and resurface leaf and coil springs, axles, king pins, bushings, and universal joints.
Click here for "MACHINIST, AUTOMOTIVE" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "MACHINIST, AUTOMOTIVE"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "MACHINIST, AUTOMOTIVE"