"JIG-BORING MACHINE OPERATOR, NUMERICAL CONTROL"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Sets up and operates numerically controlled jig-boring machine to perform machining operations, such as boring, drilling and counter-sinking holes in metal workpieces according to specifications and setup instructions, applying knowledge of metal properties and machining methods: Studies blueprints and setup instructions to determine machining required, dimensional specifications, and work procedures and methods.
- 2) Installs work-holding devices, such as blocks and clamps on indexing table of machine, using handtools.
- 3) Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist and positions and secures it on machine table or in holding device.
- 4) Inserts cutting tool in spindle of machine.
- 5) Inserts punched card or loads perforated or magnetic tape containing programmed instructions into reader of control unit.
- 6) Pushes button to zero indexing table and console at established locating point.
- 7) Sets conventional cams, stops, and dial-type switches on machine head as indicated on setup instructions if machine spindle is not under numerical control.
- 8) Actuates machine that automatically positions indexing table containing workpiece under spindle and machines part according to programmed instructions.
- 9) Inspects and measures dimensions of machined workpiece to verify conformance to specifications and shop standards, using precision measuring instruments, such as precision gauges, dial indicators, micrometers, and calipers.
- 10) Monitors machine operation and display panel of control unit for indications of malfunctions.
- 11) Notifies supervisor if machined workpiece does not conform to specifications or if machine malfunctions.
- 12) May make manual adjustments, such as setting cutting speed, feed rate, and depth of cut.
- 13) May operate machine in semiautomatic mode by setting selector switch and manually dialing in data according to oral or written instructions to machine relatively simple pieces.
- 14) May operate machine as inspection machine in manner similar to normal operations by inserting precision measuring instrument in spindle and moving machine through cycle under automatic or manual mode to indicate deviations from prescribed tolerances.
Click here for "JIG-BORING MACHINE OPERATOR, NUMERICAL CONTROL" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "JIG-BORING MACHINE OPERATOR, NUMERICAL CONTROL"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "JIG-BORING MACHINE OPERATOR, NUMERICAL CONTROL"