"FISH HATCHERY WORKER"
Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Performs any combination of following tasks to trap and spawn game fish, incubate eggs, and rear fry in fish hatchery: Secures net on both banks of river to divert fish to holding pond.
- 2) Catches ripened fish from holding pond with hand net and squeezes or slits bellies of female fish to release eggs in pail.
- 3) Squeezes bellies of male fish to force milt over eggs, and stirs with rubber-gloved hand to fertilize eggs.
- 4) Fills hatchery trays with fertilized eggs and places trays in incubation troughs.
- 5) Turns valves and places baffles in troughs to adjust volume, depth, velocity, and temperature of water.
- 6) Inspects eggs and picks out dead, infertile, and off-color eggs, using suction syringe.
- 7) Sorts fish according to size, coloring, and species and transfers fingerlings to rearing ponds or tanks, using buckets or tank truck.
- 8) Scatters food over surface of water by hand or activates blower that automatically scatters food over water to feed fish.
- 9) Observes appearance and actions of developing fish to detect diseases, and adds medications to food and water as instructed by superior.
- 10) Transfers mature fish to rivers and lakes, using tank truck.
- 11) Records field data and prepares reports of hatchery activities.
- 12) Drains and cleans ponds and troughs, using brushes, chemicals, and water.
- 13) Makes minor repairs to hatchery equipment, paints buildings, and maintains grounds.
- 14) May spawn and rear food fish or tropical and exotic fish for commercial use.
- 15) May mark migrating fish with liquid nitrogen, using hand-operated branding device.
Click here for "FISH HATCHERY WORKER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "FISH HATCHERY WORKER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "FISH HATCHERY WORKER"