Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's handtools and power tools, and conforming to local building codes: Studies blueprints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- 2) Selects specified type of lumber or other materials.
- 3) Prepares layout, using rule, framing square, and calipers.
- 4) Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials, using pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- 5) Shapes materials to prescribed measurements, using saws, chisels, and planes.
- 6) Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- 7) Verifies trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter's level.
- 8) Erects framework for structures and lays subflooring.
- 9) Builds stairs and lays out and installs partitions and cabinet work.
- 10) Covers subfloor with building paper to keep out moisture and lays hardwood, parquet, and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- 11) Applies shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, and decorative paneling to ceilings and walls.
- 12) Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware, such as locks, letterdrops, and kick plates.
- 13) Constructs forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- 14) Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- 15) May weld metal parts to steel structural members.
- 16) When specializing in particular phase of carpentry, is designated according to specialty as Combination-Window Installer; Lay-Out Carpenter.
- 17) When specializing in finish carpentry, such as installing interior and exterior trim, building stairs, and laying hardwood floors, is designated Finish Carpenter.
- 18) When erecting frame buildings and performing general carpentry work in residential construction, is designated House Carpenter.
- 19) May remove and replace sections of structures prior to and after installation of insulating materials and be designated Building-Insulating Carpenter.
- 20) May perform carpentry work in construction of walk-in freezers and environmental test chambers and be designated Carpenter, Refrigerator.
- 21) May be designated: Door Hanger; Finished-Hardware Erector; Garage-Door Hanger; Hardwood-Floor Installer; Jalousie Installer; Stair Builder; Trim Setter; Weather Stripper; Wood-Sash-And-Frame Carpenter; Wood-Strip-Block Floor Installer.
Click here for "CARPENTER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "CARPENTER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "CARPENTER"