Job Description and Jobs
- 1) Lays building materials, such as brick, structural tile, and concrete cinder, glass, gypsum, and terra cotta block to construct or repair walls, partitions, arches, sewers, and other structures: Measures distance from reference points and marks guidelines on working surface to lay out work.
- 2) Spreads soft bed of mortar that serves as base and binder for block, using trowel.
- 3) Applies mortar to end of block and positions block in mortar bed.
- 4) Taps block with trowel to level, align, and embed in mortar, allowing specified thickness of joint.
- 5) Removes excess mortar from face of block, using trowel.
- 6) Finishes mortar between brick with pointing tool or trowel.
- 7) Breaks bricks to fit spaces too small for whole brick, using edge of trowel or brick hammer.
- 8) Determines vertical and horizontal alignment of courses, using plumb bob, gaugeline, and level.
- 9) Fastens brick or terra cotta veneer to face of structures, with tie wires embedded in mortar between bricks, or in anchor holes in veneer brick.
- 10) May weld metal parts to steel structural members.
- 11) May apply plaster to walls and ceiling, using trowel, to complete repair work.
- 12) May be designated according to material used as Cinder-Block Mason; Concrete-Block Mason; Terra-Cotta Mason; or work performed as Bricklayer, Maintenance.
- 13) When specializing in construction of specified structures, is designated according to specialty as Bricklayer, Sewer; Chimney Builder, Brick.
- 14) May be designated: Block Setter, Gypsum; Hollow-Tile-Partition Erector; Plaster-Block Layer; Silo Erector.
Click here for "BRICKLAYER" Jobs
See the Future Outlook and Educational Requirements for "BRICKLAYER"
Our Most Popular Products
End Of Job Description for: "BRICKLAYER"